True stories about dating that will make you shake your head in disbelief!

Once upon a time there was a Disbeliever, Realist, and Skeptic. They were all on the quest of finding love. We are a must-read for those in the dating realm who are confused, frustrated, in love, or happily single! How will their stories end? Stay tuned for their stories.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Mr. Directions, Mr. Cruise, Italian Boyfriend, and The Explorer

Whew!

It's been a while since I've updated (although not nearly as long as the Realist and the Disbeliever--don't know what's up with those ladies...), but it's been an eventful week!

I spent the last 5 days in Miami working a trade show for work. It's incredibly hard work because you put in very long days, are running around on a concrete floor in dress shoes all day for 12 hours, and even after hours you do staff dinners, so you still have to be "on." I'm going to need a few days to recover from that.

BUT, this particular trade show was crawling with good looking men. It's an international show, so it attracts a lot of Europeans, who I have a weakness for, and who dress very well and smell very good.One guy I met was asking me directions somewhere and we ended up chatting for ten minutes. I wasn't attracted to him, but he was nice, and it was nice to chat for a while (and he is from another city, anyway). I saw him later that day at a reception and he introduced me to some buddies he had met that day, both of whom are from New York, and one of whom was very cute! And works only a few blocks from me! You can bet I'll be arranging a lunch with that guy. I don't know a lot about him so I'll just call him Mr. Cruise.

At the same reception, I was mingling, asking people how they like the show, basically doing my job. I talked to one guy who is Italian. It was a normal professional conversation, I guess--asking him how he liked the show and such, he responded with something and I might not have understood all of it in his broken English. We exchanged cards, and I moved on to chat with someone else. But later I saw that he had emailed me not ten minutes after that--evidently I made quite an impression on him, because he was asking when he could see me again, when I would be in Miami again, and if I was free in the next couple of days while I was in town. Well, oh my. It seems with the Europeans there is a fine line between friendly professionalism and outright asking someone out. Actually, I'm pretty sure there is no line at all--it's all fair game. A couple of nights after that I was out for drinks with colleagues and emailed him inviting him to join us. He asked where we were, and I replied with the name of the bar and street. He didn't show up. Which is fine. Might've been a little awkward being besties with some guy I just met, although my colleagues were interested in meeting my new Italian boyfriend.

Also at this show I had the pleasure of meeting a certain grandson of a famous undersea explorer. This was definitely a trip highlight, as meeting minor celebrities usually is. He was very good-looking, very charming yet also very approachable and down to Earth. I asked for a picture with him, and not only was he agreeable, but he insisted we took many shots to make sure one wasn't blurry and I had options. Too bad the guy just got married this past September.

I can't tell you the last time so many men told me how wonderful and beautiful I was in one week, including some of my international colleagues who were in town to help with the show. What girl doesn't love to hear that? They were all Europeans, though, which makes me wonder about what's up with the American men. And also whether or not I should move to Europe.

Trying to stay positive,
Skeptic

4 comments:

  1. Definitely a cultural thing, especially amongst Italians and the more 'latin' countries - the men are expressive! But also possessive :)

    I'm sure it was a nice little ego boost to your already-lovely self, so enjoy it. And looking forward to hearing about the possible lunch with Mr Cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I renamed Mr. Cruise "The Entrepreneur," in later posts. And don't you worry, I think I'll have more to say about him. :)

      Delete
    2. It didn't occur to me until I re-read this post that there was another guy in that group who was from New York, but I don't think I exchanged cards with him. Don't think I meant to do that, but I may have made it painfully obvious that I was much more interested in the other guy.....

      Delete
  2. Go to the DR you become a celeb!!!!

    ReplyDelete